Wednesday, March 4, 2009

An Offensive for the Naked Portafilter


Crotchless, naked, bottomless... these words are beauty to my ears. Portafilters are an important part of the espresso making process, beautiful chrome plated brass windows into paradise. They only open for short moments of time, but what an incredible 25 seconds. Few things are more incredible in my daily life than the rust colored, marble textured espresso that flows from the Rio in our kitchen.

Suffice it to say, I am truly enjoying my experience thus far with my newly purchased naked portafilter. What is most interesting is not the gleam and glamour of watching the shots pour, but the vast increase in the actual quality of the shots that I am getting. When I decided to go naked, I only thought about how awesome it would be to take pictures and stand open mouthed as I marveled at a triple ristretto. In reality it is so much easier to check on the exact point of blonding of the shots, resulting in an incredible cup. There is also something unexplainable about the improvement in quality, I hypothesize that the lack of spouts also means the lack of anywhere for crema/oils to except the cup. The Rwanda shots that we were pulling yesterday were so floral/sweet, it was an incredible experience.

My hope are that John Letoto and I will have an espresso tasting soon, Intelligentsia provides a solid bean but I have high expectations for him. So far he has surpassed my expectations as a Louisvillian home roaster by far.

No comments: